"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Thursday, October 9, 2014

talking about racism today....

I normally will not talk about race, politics, and religion at work. Today though, I had a brief conversation with someone about racism and the actual definition of the word vs the emotions the word evokes. I realize that not everyone can separate themselves from the emotion that this word evokes. I understand that not everyone understands the discrimination that different people face. 

I think what bothered me most about the conversation was how dismissive they were about discrimination of the people they felt had no right to feel bad about being discriminated against. Being discriminated against based on race is wrong. End story. Period. Regardless of what race you are or what race you are perceived to be. 

I used the example of misandry being just as wrong as misogyny to which this same person again, and they made the same sort of dismissive comments about how it was essentially okay to hate men but it's totally wrong to hate women because women have been more downtrodden. Again, hating someone for their gender is wrong. End story. Period.

I have never, and will never understand hating an entire group of people based on one thing like race, gender, or gender. I don't get it. Just stop it. 

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
  1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    • prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment