"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Just my two cents


The other day this comic was posted on RobDenBleyker's facebook page, he is one of the artists who does comics for Cyanide and Happiness (one of the most hilarious and irreverent comics)

I found it hilarious for multiple reasons. The first thing I thought of was the Jim Gaffigan quote “Vitamins…they may be expensive but at least there’s no proof they work. There’s vitamins and then there’s herbal supplements which are not FDA approved and to put that in perspective…the Twinkie is. I don’t even know who herbal supplements are for…it’s like ‘Hey if you’re not wasting enough money on vitamins that don’t work, you should check out this stuff that’s kind of the horoscope of vitamins.’”

One of the other reasons I found it so amusing is because of how up in arms followers of alternative medicine get when anyone questions it or disagrees with them. Or a lot of them just assume that you are attacking their belief system, their ideals or even them. (I know, I know it’s the internets. I forget sometimes)

And boy was I right, I got multiple responses and messages regarding my comment on the comic and even my posting it on my own personal facebook. The REALLY amusing part is how condescending they were to me for posting a joke response on a joke comic strip, assuming that my comment means that I’m anti-alternative medicine when in reality that is totally not true.

Let me break it down for you now. I absolutely believe in the merits of vitamins, supplements and alternative medicine but I also firmly believe in conventional medicine. In my opinion and based on my own reading and research I believe that the two can work together for a cure or for long lasting health. It’s what is called “Complementary medicine” or “Integrative medicine” They work TOGETHER. There are certain things that I think you need modern medical science to help diagnose and cure. There are plenty of diseases and illnesses that can be treated by natural methods but there are others that cannot. This is of course just my opinion, I have my opinion and you have yours.

Do with it what you will. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, even if they don’t agree with yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment