"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Question

I've been working on a blog entry for a couple of days now but I've had a really hard time explaining what's in my brain meats so I will just ask this question

So

People go on and on about bullying and how it's wrong and everything right?

but

A lot of these same people talk about how they hate Justin Bieber or they make fun of Honey Boo Boo or any other child "star" who they find ridiculous. Explain to me how that is not bullying, especially given the prevalence of memes and hate talk on the internets. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to see people hate so hard on these kids. I have never watched Honey Boo Boo's show and I never will but I feel sorry for that kid. Her mother is making her into a caricature of a person and in my opinion, is just exploiting her child for money and "fame" but instead they are getting mockery and ridicule. And as she grows up she will see all the hate speech, all the memes making fun of her when I think about how that must feel? It makes me really sad.

I just don't get why this isn't bullying. Cause they are public figures? Who the fuck cares. Maybe people should just quit being such dicks to each other.

I know, I'm dreaming.




2 comments:

  1. I think it is bullying, and it's wrong no matter how famous or public the person you're being nasty to is. I've seen people argue that a celebrity can escape the hate-dom that targets them. Justin Beiber can count his stacks of money and his millions of love letters if he starts worrying about someone hating him. But in my opinion that doesn't make it right to target them, personally, in any way. Especially with how vitriolic and bordering on serious threat some of that hatred is.

    It's certainly not bullying to say "I never want to hear another Justin Beiber song" or "I hate shows like Honey Boo Boo." Opinion is fine. But when it stops being about the musical/television/movie/written/etc. *product* and becomes about directing hatred at the *person themselves*... that IS a form of bullying, and it's not right.

    It's frustrating to me to see a lot of people who speak out about the kind of bullying they may have personally experienced, then defending doing the same thing to someone "popular." They're still a person, and you don't get free reign to be nasty just because someone was nasty to you. (Which is not to say that only people who were bullied do this. Plenty of people are nasty, and the world would be a better place if they weren't.)

    Apologies if the comment is kind of garbled; this is hard to articulate well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hate speech is hate speech regardless of who the person on the receiving end is.

    ReplyDelete