"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hostess vs Gaza

The big news on Facebook this morning has either been about Hostess closing down or the attacks on the Gaza strip. Several people of my acquaintance have started to rant about how dumb people are for talking about Hostess and not Gaza. How they don't want to live in a world where people are more concerned about the loss of Twinkies rather than the loss of life.

I do have this to say though, talking about Hostess closing isn't likely to get people attacking you about how you are against Israel. One thing I have noticed is that whenever people tend to say anything disparaging about Israel or their attacks on Palestine, people tend to make the claim that you are an anti-Semite and that Israel is just protecting themselves. I get that I don't understand a lot of the politics, I get that I don't know a enough about the background and history of the formation of Israel. I don't really want to debate the finer points of politics or law or belief. I am not trying to offend anyone with my ignorance, I don't want to discuss my own personal beliefs.

I just wanted to take a second to point out that discussing the dissolution of a company that makes snack cakes is way easier and causes a lot less tension and grief than discussing the very real issues and problems that are happening elsewhere in the world. And that sort of sums up the way of the world doesn't it? We don't talk about real issues, we don't try to solve real problems and we certainly don't communicate with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment