"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

With a Little Help From My Friends

So last Saturday I woke up and went to get breakfast for Mr. S and myself and my car was gone. No glass, no nothing, just gone and I knew.

My car was repossessed. FUCK.

Before you get all judgey about me not paying my bills etc let me give you a little bit of background.

Last year I fucked up royally and had to replace the engine in my car. Thanks to some friends who gave me work to do so I could earn rather than borrow the money I was able to get my car fixed in a couple of months. Thanks to Uncle Shitty who did all the actual work and then allowed me to make payments to him for labor. Well as you might know, replacing an engine is anything but cheap but I managed thanks to a little help from my friends.

But

I struggled to come up with the money for part of that and as a result I let some things slide a bit but don't misunderstand me, I didn't stop making my payments I just wasn't able to pay the whole amount so I got behind. I actually got pretty far behind but I was making payments every two weeks trying desperately to get caught back up. The smallest payment I gave them was $100.00 but it was usually $200.00, every two weeks consistently for the last 8 months or so. I am generally pretty frugal and very realistic about my bills, I have paid off one credit card, the other one only has about $75 left owing on it and that will be paid off by the end of next month. I am still paying off an ER visit (with no insurance mind you) from last winter and I still have regular bills like rent, insurance and my student loan payments to deal with. I was juggling all of these things as adults do and thought I was doing okay, not great but at least okay.

Well apparently despite me trying to make amends and make those payments and get caught up, it wasn't enough for the finance company. Apparently they also didn't need to send me a right to cure notice or notify me that they thought the situation was bad enough that they were considering repo-ing my car. No voicemails other than the standard "why are you behind, can you pay x by today, can't you borrow the money or sell something to make your payment" calls, no letters, no nothing, just repossession. So I called them and they explained to me that I was 77 days behind and that my account manager had made the decision to repossess my car.

FUCK

Okay, this may not be catastrophic, I might be able to figure it out. After over an hour on hold I finally got a hold of someone who was able to tell me that the finance company had decided that all I needed to pay is the amount I was behind, late fees and the repo fee of $300.00, it came up to $1200.00 which all things considered isn't as bad as it could have been. After all they could have demanded the full balance of my loan which would have been pretty much a insurmountable obstacle for me. So, $1200.00 okay, I can probably figure this out and then they told me that I would have approximately 2 weeks to come up with that chunk of change.

FUCK

I thought about it a long time and finally decided to do a Chip In account for it. I felt really awkward and uncomfortable doing it but I really didn't know what else to do. I have never been good at asking for help and when it comes to money I am especially bad about it. I have always thought that I am an adult and if I get into trouble I have no one else to blame and no one else to count on and I shouldn't count on them because I should be able to dig myself out of my own holes. *ahem* but I didn't know what else to do. I had $300 already set aside for a car payment but no clue how to come up with an additional $900 in such a short time span. So Chip In it was and WOW. I am utterly blown away by the generosity and support so many of my friends (and even a few strangers) not just financially but emotionally. After just a week and a half I managed to raise what I need to get my car back and even enough money to get my tags that are due this month. I couldn't have done it without you and I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment