"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Monday, October 15, 2012

2,185

2,185
That is on average how many children are reported missing every day. That adds up to approximately 800,000 kids a year. 800,000 a year.

115 are victims of what they call "stereotypical" kidnappings every year. That means it was someone they don't know well or at all, someone who keeps them over night, transports them more than 50 miles, kills them, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently.

115 a year.

Now let me ask you a question. How many of those kids do we ever actually hear about? We just had a case here in Colorado where a little girl was kidnapped and murdered and while I think it is incredibly sad and very tragic, it breaks my heart to think of how many other missing children cases are totally ignored. The media is so selective about what cases they decide to talk about, the more sensational or lurid the detail the higher the ratings I suppose. What about all those kids who no one gives a shit about? Only their families or the occasional dedicated police office that never gives up hope and tries to let everyone know about the case. In just 5 minutes perusing the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children website, I saw so many photos of missing children that it just breaks my heart. Who knows where these kids went or what happened to them. Who knows who is missing them, who is praying for their return, who is starting to lose any hope they once might have had that their loved one will return to them.

I guess all I am saying is, don't forget all of these other children. The poor kids, the colored kids, the ugly kids, the ones that don't make headlines. Don't forget them.








1 comment:

  1. I ran across the term "White Woman of the Moment" online years ago (at Something Awful, maybe?) and it seems to fit both missing persons cases for adult women and kids: white, pretty, usually somewhat privileged. It's so ingrained that when I run across a TV news story about a brown-skinned woman or kid who's gone missing, I'm surprised.

    Patrice O'Neal did an entire opening set about it in his last (and final, *sob*) special(http://youtu.be/PVUW5XkDsgQ), which I find hilarious because it's painfully, painfully true.

    ReplyDelete