"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I am not the person your advertisement was meant for

I just saw an anti-smoking commercial that basically said that the only reason people smoke is because the ads make cigarettes look glamorous and that you'd look cool and tough people do it and you feel like you are more independent when you smoke. I am confused a bit.



I know why I smoked in the beginning. The ads never once even occurred to me.  It all started as a stress reliever, it gave me something to think about other than what was going on in my life. I knew it was bad for me, I knew it could kill me and I didn't care. I still don't care overmuch about that. I have slowed down quite a bit and now a pack can last me a week and a half whereas before I was at about a pack to a pack and a half a day. I don't say that to justify it, I still know it's a stupid habit. An expensive habit. But it also is a habit I enjoy thank you very much. I enjoy being at the club with a drink in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Something about the motions of smoking, the feeling of the smoke in my lungs, all of it is part of an experience to me.

I have never once watched an commercial or seen an ad that made me think "ooh I want to do that because I will look cool or glamorous or pretty" I know smoking isn't a pretty habit, I also don't care. What I want to know is, who are these people that watch, ok used to watch these commercials or see the print ads (since it's illegal now) and think to themselves "gee all I need to be cool is to smoke?" And if they can't show the TV ads or print magazine ads, why are people still starting to smoke? Does showing ads with people dying of cancer or those Truth commercial really change anyone's minds? Is there a single fucking smoker in the world who is legally old enough to purchase their own cigarettes who DOESN'T know that this can kill you?

Someone please explain this to me because I really don't get it.

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, these ads (the anti-smoking ones) are so the cigarette companies can claim to be less evil; trying to deter would-be smokers and convincing current smokers to quit. But quitting is hard, and that's what they're really about. When you're sitting there, watching TV, as someone trying to quit, and for once in your day you are not thinking about smoking. Then the commercial break comes on, when you would usually smoke, but you're being strong. Then these commercials come on and remind you CIGARETTES!!! and your willpower is gone. They kept you, at least for about six more months until you try to quit again.

    On the other hand, I don't smoke. Never have, never desired to. But I love the smell of some cigarettes. But I do love the look of cigarette extenders from the heyday of the silver screen. Those are sexy as hell, and I almost want to smoke just to use them. Also, a man with a cigar is attractive to me. I intend fully to force Jeff to smoke a cigar for pictures one day. But I think that is more that I find the heyday of the silver screen sexy, and smoking was part of it, less than simply finding smoking itself sexy.

    Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean I don't look cool? damn! I agree that all these anti-smoking ads really do is remind me that I haven't lit up in a while. And I didn't start to be cool or hip or rugged or all the things that commercial said. I started for stress relief and that's why I continue.

    ReplyDelete