"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

grow up

When you live a life with no consequences I suppose there is no reason to take any responsibility for yourself or your actions. When there is always someone to bail you out, catch your fall, pay your debts, you never learn how to take care of yourself.

Years ago I had some friends whose parents took care of them long into adulthood. Parents paid the bills, parents paid the debt, parents paid for almost everything. They could spend as much as they wanted on their credit cards and they never had to stop and think about how or when it would get paid back.

I started to wonder if these kids of theirs would ever learn how to take care of themselves. Would they ever learn to balance a checkbook? Pay their own bills? Actually work for their own living? I grew apart from them long before we got to the point where they would have to figure it out or end up just finding someone else to take care of them. I am convinced that is what most of these people do. Just latch onto someone else who can and will take care of them with no consequences or real responsibilities.

I occasionally wonder what that is like. To never have to think about how I am going to pay for things, how I going pay bills, how I am going to eat. There are times when I think that must be nice. It must be nice to not ever think about the financial consequences of your actions.

On the other hand I am so glad that I know how to take care of myself, I know how to handle my money and if I fuck it up I know how to take care of myself. On the rare occasion (see blog entries about my colossal fuck up with my car and the esplody engine) I managed to work for most of the money instead of begging or borrowing it. We all need help sometimes, but first you need to learn to take care of yourself. Be your own boss, run your own life, quit depending on others to take care of you or bail you out.


“The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands.” 
― Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment