"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Biggest Loser


Way back in 2007 when I decided that it was high time to lose weight I found all sorts of ways to motivate myself and cheer myself on. One of the things that I felt helped was the show The Biggest Loser. Back then it was a new show, it’d only been on for about a season or two.  I haven’t watched the show in YEARS but tonight while I was at the gym on the treadmill, the latest episode was on and I ended up watching it. What at one time in my life had seemed to be inspirational now leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Watching people beat themselves up for not meeting their weight loss goals instead of being proud of their accomplishments just boggles my mind. Crying over the fact that you lost 11 pounds instead of the “needed” 12 lbs, when in the REAL world losing 11 lbs in a week through diet and exercise alone would definitely be something worth celebrating, these people who I once watched with baited breath every week now make me feel this indefinable sadness.  Where I used to root for the contestants and watch the weigh ins with excitement and anticipation, now I just roll my eyes at the uber dramatic, drawn out scenes on the scales where people chew their nails and wait with baited breath to find out if they are going to be eliminated or not. I realize it’s a glorified game show, I realize that these people are competing with each other for financial gain but I just think it’s sad to marginalize the amount of work that they do and the amazing amount of effort they put into losing that weight every single week. Losing weight is fucking hard.  Celebrate that shit. And stay away from reality TV. It’s total shit. 

4 comments:

  1. An acquaintance of mine tried out for that show and she made it all the way to the final round. She was eliminated because the producers decided she was "too happy". That being fat didn't make her miserable and so she wouldn't be motivational enough to the audience.

    And I'm like wait...what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this surprises me not at all Jane. Sadly

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I don't really watch a lot of TV but what I watch is scripted and makes no pretense at playing at reality. I LOATHE reality tv, it panders to the lowest common denominator IMO.

      Delete