"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Friday, December 16, 2011

opera binge

This past Saturday I went to the Denver Pavilions and saw The Met's live in HD performance of Faust. It was fantastic. I developed two new crushes almost instantly, René Pape who plays Méphistophélès and Jonas Kaufmann who played Faust were both wonderful. This here is my favorite song from the opera - 





unfortunately they don't have video of him singing it in the actual production because the combination of his lovely, rich voice and the people dancing manically below him... well it gave me goosebumps. 


It's funny, every time I see an opera I am reminded of just how much I love opera.  It always makes me weepy and emotional. There is just something about the power of the human voice and the orchestra and just everything. I'm not eloquent today. Or ever really but I hope my point gets across at the very least. 


So anyway, I have been on a total opera binge since Saturday. I discovered that The Met Opera site has a 7 day free trial with access to over 300 different performances including classic productions, live in HD productions and audio recordings. 

this is the list of operas that I have listened to this week -
Aida
Armida
Madama Butterfly
Boris Godunov
Carmen
The Barber of Seville
The Magic Flute
Le Nozze Di Figaro
Tosca
Rigoletto
Eugene Onegin
Tristan und Isolde


My free trial ends Sunday. I might have to pay the 14.99 for at least one month because they recently did the entirety of the Ring Cycle and it looks fantastic.

If you need me, I'll be huddled in front of my laptop for 12 hours watching Wagner. BRB.

No comments:

Post a Comment