"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Monday, December 12, 2011

I like books. And history and I really love books about history.

I love books about history. I am somewhat of an Anglophile and tend to read quite a bit about the United Kingdom. The dynamics between the Brits, the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish, the Cornish, the Manx and all the other people that make up that part of the world has always fascinated me. The fact the Saxons, the Anglo-Saxons, the Celts, the Normans, the Danes and all the other people that have inhabited those islands have all had an effect on the world I currently live in. My language, my traditions, etc are all influenced in one way from my ancestors.

One of my all time favorite history books about the British Isles is called "The Isles" (clever title, isn't it?)

it's a brick of a book, my paperbook copy weighs in with 1,222 pages and I can't recommend this book enough. It covers all of the British islands from Pre-History all the way to Post-Imperial times. It is surprisingly entertaining throughout and I can honestly say that I have read this book at least a dozen times and it never bores me.

The whole point of this blog entry is that I couldn't find this book for quite awhile and when I tried to find a new copy I discovered that new copies of the paperback are about 50 bucks! I think I paid about 25 bucks for my copy back in 2000 when it was published. So I was digging through my trunk awhile back and low and behold! I found my book! YAY! I've started reading it again and I'm reminded at how much I love history and learning about all the interesting things that have happened in the world.

One of these days I'm gonna go where the history comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment