"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Can't get no...

Satisfaction that is.

I was thinking this morning about how I keep wanting satisfaction out of my job. I don't even really know what specifically will give me satisfaction but I WANT IT. Then I started thinking about when people started expecting to get something akin to satisfaction out of their work.

It seems to me that that is a recent development. I could be wrong but it seems that for years work was seen as something you have to do to survive and that it is unreasonable to expect anything out of your job other than a means to earn money and to survive. I wonder if this is something unique to my generation, Generation X or Y or the Millennials or whatever the hell generation I belong in.

I certainly never heard my mother and I most definitely never heard either one of my grandparents say anything about a job being satisfying. It had to be done. Period. But it also seemed that is how their whole life worked. You did things because they had to be done or were supposed to be done. Marriage, children, buying a house and a car, working 9 to 5 for The Man whoever that man may be. Every day, they went through the motions because that's what they were supposed to do.

I want more. I want to do something that even if I don't love it, I don't loathe it. I want to feel like I actually did something during the day that a trained monkey couldn't do faster and cheaper. I don't care if I have unrealsitic goals about work, I have a lot of friends who have jobs that they love, that allow them a lot of freedom, that make them more happy than not. I have done so much in ensuring that my personal life is happy and fulfilling, now is the time to focus that energy on my professional life.


Updating resume, commencing NAOW. 

2 comments:

  1. At about 40, I went back to school for this very reason. The process continues, but at least I can look around my job and know that this (or something like it) isn't my sentence until I die or retire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think their are people who are in a position to like their jobs, but it seems to me that is about a willingness to accept the things that suck as part of the game, and smile about the little things. Then there are people who have extremely flexible jobs, which I think is so rare....

    ReplyDelete