"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Don't own 'em if you can't take care of 'em

I love having a pet. Mostly. It's a pain in the ass sometimes. It's also the closest to having a kid that I ever want to get. You are responsible for that creatures food, water, life.

The beast says "do my bidding monkey! and get me some noms"


And I am a firm believer in, if you can't or won't take care of them, then you should not have them. Animals and kids alike. If you travel a lot then perhaps having a pet isn't the best choice for you. Especially if its an animal that requires a lot of attention, like a dog. Dogs need a lot of maintenance and they are not a good idea if you travel a lot and are unable to take them with you. All they know is that you keep leaving them. And of course then you have to find someone to take care of your animal and... well you get the point.

If you cannot take care of their habitat then perhaps you shouldn't have them. Like rodents in cages. I had a friend when I was a kid who didn't properly take care of her guinea pigs and holy hell her room smelled bad. I also have several friends with fish and damn those take a lot of work. No thank you. Way too lazy to have to constantly refill a tank and clean it and do all that maintenance.

I'm lazy. Big time. But I still make sure I clean my beast's litter box everyday when I get up in the morning and every night when I get home from work. If for no other reason than I don't want my room to stink like cat. I make sure she has food and water at least twice a day. I brush her. I pet her. I pay attention to her. My cat lives in my bedroom, she doesn't have free reign of the house due to Mr. S's allergies so it is very important that I keep our living space clean because otherwise *ICK*. True I may not always be the best at it but I do my best. Even at my laziest my cat is taken care of if nothing else. I cannot understand people who neglect their animals. Why do you have them if you won't take care of them properly?

Why? 

No comments:

Post a Comment