"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

poking the bear

It always surprises me a little bit how reactionary people can be on ye ole interwebs, I don’t know why. It shouldn’t surprise me and yet…

You post what you think is a funny picture and some get the joke and others proceed to freak out or think you are a terrible person. Even something fairly innocuous can cause extreme reactions. After the Great Brisket Debacle of 2010 I started to realize just how much people can over react to things that I see no issues with or think nothing of. I posted a photo of a friend enjoying a lovely cut of brisket and people that I had considered friends for a long, long time took serious offense to it and posted some particularly nasty things and even resorted to calling me names for it. On a public forum. It boggles my mind still to this day that people would find something that I thought was totally innocent, THAT offensive. Even my other vegetarian/vegan friends either joked about it or completely ignored it . Because it’s just a photo of someone eating brisket. But that’s the point isn’t it? I think it’s a picture of Disney eating a delicious brisket and someone else equates it to me posting a photo of someone eating an aborted human fetus. Not kidding that’s what they equated it to.

I understand that you have the right to be offended. I understand that you have every right to not like something I post on MY facebook page. I will never argue that point, I will never argue against your right to be offended. What I don't understand is how... UPSET people can get and how they will post things in a public forum expressing it. If someone I know posts something on the interwebs that I find personally offensive I either delete them from my life in a quiet non-name calling way or I just keep it to myself. It all depends on the level of offense of course. Sometimes people just post things that I find… distasteful. And you know what I do then? NOT A GOD DAMNED THING. It’s their webpage, it’s their choice to post those things and if I don’t like it or agree with it I can take it up with them directly via email, phone call or even *gasp* in person but I will never, ever call someone names and spew toxic nastiness on their own page. Because I’m not 12 years old anymore.

Where does poking the bear come in you may ask? Or not I dunno, I can’t read your mind. Anywho, I happen to have a couple of friends *cough cough* the Zen Archer, Miss St. Cynical, The Captain, and A&S are all people who are especially snarky, extremely intelligent and are totally unafraid to point out to people that IT’S JUST A JOKE and to LAY BACK AND THINK OF ENGLAND. Okay maybe not the last one but they do have a tendency to tell people to lighten up and relax a little bit because Facebook is not the REAL WORLD. I understand. What I find funny, isn't always funny to others. I don't ever post anything on MY facebook page with the intent of hurting, upsetting or offending anyone. I would never post photos of an animal or a person being abused in any fashion. I fully support animal rights, which in my opinion you can do even if you are a meat eater. I love that I have friends who care deeply about some very important issues. But come on guys. It’s Facebook. Not Meat Space. It’s okay to laugh. Or to ignore it. Or to delete me altogether. Do what you think is right.

But please, keep calm and carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment