"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Friday, January 14, 2011

lost... and found

Quite a while ago a new acquaintance and I were discussing the loss of his father and his attempts to deal with his grief. He came up with an idea of recording interviews of people who have lost something, anything and putting together some sort of blog with the audio along with photos that he would take as they talked. I thought it was a great idea and I encouraged him to do it. I thought then (and still do) that this was a very worthwhile project and that it could help other people realize that they are not alone and remind us all of the simple fact that EVERYONE has a story to tell. I told him my story, he took the pictures and it was a very cathartic process. I watched the updates as he continued to interview people, both people I knew and people I'd never seen before. All of the stories touched me in a way that I am nowhere near eloquent enough to explain.

Time passed, the updates stopped and to be honest I put the project out of my head. And then suddenly Ms. Jane posted this blog entry http://www.janesinfinitewisdom.com/2011/01/what-you-have-lost-can-never-be-found.html and then later today no less than 3 different people posted something about it. I haven't re-listened to the entries in a long time. I flipped through the web page that J created to track the project and read blurbs and looked at the photos but I can't quite bring myself to listen again, yet.

We have all lost something. Please check this out http://losingsomething.org/ and spread the word, it is heartbreaking, sad, beautiful and ultimately hopeful because we can be reminded that we aren't alone in our loss, we aren't alone in our sadness and sometimes the words of a total stranger can remind us not to give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment