"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes 2011

I occasionally watch awards shows but not for the awards, I watch them for the clothes and the hair. I always enjoy and appreciate the effort that goes into these award shows. And it is always interesting to spot the trends. This year it was definitely all about one shoulder gowns that usually had big, poufy bows or flowers or just bunches of fabric on the shoulder. And there were a lot of dresses that reminded me of the Dynasty era, I kept waiting for Joan Collins or Linda Evans to show up. The big colors this season seemed to be emerald green and a lot of nude/natural toned dresses that always seem so blah to me.

I will do the obligatory good, bad and boys blog posts with pictures from the looks I loved and loathed the most but there are two people who always have a category of their own. Tilda Swinton and Helena Bonham Carter. Neither one of them dress particularly well or very flattering however they always dress like themselves if that makes sense. They don't compromise and adhere to current trends. They just do and wear what they want. 

 Tilda Swinton is a very powerful actress and has played some very interesting roles including Orlando in the film Orlando, Sal in The Beach, and one of my favorite roles (although not my favorite movie, the comic was way better but I digress) Gabriel in Constantine. She has been very open and honest about her so called "alternative lifestyle" I highly respect her willingness to be open about something that tends to make the majority of people uncomfortable.
Helena Bonham Carter has always been a bit on the eccentric side and it is one of the things I've always loved about her. She takes risks in her acting and in her clothes. I certainly never would have considered wearing two different colored shoes to a major awards show! Exceedingly lovely, talented and quirky are all qualities to be admired in my humble opinion. From Lady Jane Grey the six day queen of England in Lady Jane to Ophelia in Hamlet to Faith in A Dark Adapted Eye. I love this lady and her body of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment