"I want to be my own design" Clive Barker - Imajica

Friday, January 28, 2011

Don't worry Grandpa, I still remember to check my oil

If you ever met my grandfather you would know that he was a lot like Yosemite Sam only with a LOT more profanity. The man loved to cuss. I think that is where I get it from, although I don't say goddammit nearly as much as he did. Seriously the man would say it every other word. I decided I needed to document some of the words of wisdom that my grandpa would always say to me that I, as a teenager or child would of course promptly blow off. Now that I am an adult I realize, much to my chagrin that he was usually right about shit. Dammit. I wish he was still around for me to tell him that.

I don't seem to have any more current photos of him laying around but here are some of my favorites from when he was young...
I believe that this was when he was in Korea during the Korean War...

My Grandpa and my maternal grandmother, Nerita who passed away in 1959. I wish I could have met her or any of my family on her side.

Also from Korea I think.

I miss my Grandpa. A LOT.


JOHN HOWARD EVARTS, SR.
November 16, 1929 - September 5, 2002
John died after a short battle with cancer. He leaves behind to celebrate his life and to treasure his memory: Children John Jr., Vivian Sparrow, Walter, Tammy Janega, Lisa Durham. Grandchildren: Ronald Hancock II, PJ Sparrow, Rebecca, Walter Evarts, Aidan, Zackary and Alyssa Durham. Great-grandchildren: Ronald III, Douglas and Violet Hancock. Brothers and sisters Bob, Tom, Toni, Nada and Barbara, and his dear and wonderful friend Hannelore Wnenta. He was preceded in death by wives Nerita 1959, Jo Carole 2001, son Joseph, parents Walter and Juanita, brothers Chuck and Don.
 In 1969 John was honorably discharged after 22 years of service from the U.S. Army at the rank of Sergeant First Class. He served his country in the Korean and Vietnam Wars, receiving many awards and commendations including the Bronze Star. After 20 years of service with Western Forge, John retired but continued to work part time for Butch's Auto nagging customers and telling bad jokes. John possessed incredible kindness, sentimentality and sense of humor. John's children will always remember his imagination, creativity and his ability to build all kinds of functional trinkets. He passed this ability onto grandson Aidan, who carries on with all the tools "Tool Grandpa" gave him.
John loved Colorado, talk radio, sports, gardening, traveling to visit friends Tom and Paula Carlson in Florida, and spending time with Lori, who taught him to smile again.
He passed from this life with his family at his side. We are blessed to have been there to see this man who gave us life to go on to wander the mountains he loved. Don't worry Pop, we won't forget to check the oil.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Pikes Peak Hospice in the name of John II Evarts Sr. Remember to be kind to a stranger, and spend time with those you love... life is so short.

No comments:

Post a Comment